Yesterday, we had an all day writing day to get ready for the writing TAKS. I was worried that the kids would be resentful and this would get in the way of learning. So I tried to make it fun. One activity we did they really enjoyed.
We went out to the playground for 10 minutes, with the cameras. They took as many weird angle pictures as they could. When they came back in the kids worked on a group simile project, while I uploaded the pictures.
Then after swimming, we did the description activity.
- I put up a picture for 2 minutes.
- Students created a bubble map about the picture
- We turned on the lights and the projector off
- Students had 2 minutes to write a sentence using the bubble map information. Bonus points if they worked in a simile
- 3 Students were randomly called on (using the TeachersPick App) to read their sentences
The first set of sentences were not that great, but then they got into it. The sentences improved vastly.